An opportunity is something that could potentially enhance the project in a favourable way. Opportunities may require additional resource to realise and so the project team’s willingness and ability to take advantage of an opportunity will be subject to their capacity and available resources. Managing opportunities helps to assess the balance of gain versus effort to realise; the outcome of which can be discussed with the Project Board to help make available additional resources.
- Click on the ‘Monitor’ tab.
- Click on the ‘Opportunities’ tab.
- Click the ‘Add an Opportunity’ button.
- Add a title for the opportunity.
- Describe your opportunity to explain how it may positively impact the project. Provide an indication of how much resource and/or cost it would take to action.
- Select the level of significance as high, medium or low - this will help you prioritise your opportunities.
- Set the appropriate status (on target, realised, part-realised or not realised)
- Assign an owner – the person best placed to manage this successfully.
- (Optional) check ‘Create another opportunity’ to repeat the process.
- Click ‘Save’ to save this opportunity and/or activate the creation of another one.
To update the status and create actions to realise an opportunity.
- Click on the opportunity.
- Click the pencil icon to edit.
- Make any amends to the text fields and change the owner if appropriate.
- Update the significance field for any changes resulting from actions.
- Update the status field as appropriate.
- Click the 'Save’ button on the top bar to save your changes.
- Create any actions to help realise the opportunity (see action process).